Monday, August 6, 2018

Week 30 of 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks Prompt - Colorful

52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks
Week 30
Prompt – Colorful

Tea rose bushes, huge purple lilac trees, peonies, tiger lilies, and gladioli were just some of the colorful flowers my grandmother, Mary McLaughlin had in her back garden. Every time I smell a tea rose it transports me back to her yard and all of her memories that come from being there.
Her garden was not just flowers. In her earlier years the garden was mainly a vegetable garden which was necessary for her and the family. My sister, Betty remembers that grandma even used the empty lot across from her home as additional garden space during the war years when rationing was in place.
Grandma's lifelong border, Fred Ready grew and created new glads for the Saskatoon Gladioli Show in the 1960's and 70's. I know grandma must have had a hand in helping this process. Their glads were award winning. They were gorgeous, rich in newly created colors. Apparently Fred named one variety after my grandmother. It was called “Mrs Mac”. Unfortunately I do not know what color it was. Any of my siblings know?
Grandma's small home was full of her cut garden flowers in the summertime. She even contributed to the church altar flowers on occasion.

Grandma McLaughlin
Mary McLaughlin and Award Winning Glads

 It was beautiful and colorful; maybe this is where my love for flowers in the home come from.

     Wendy


No comments:

Post a Comment

2024 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks Week 19  Prompt - Taking Care of Business It was exhausting. It was emotional. Last week Bill, myself, my daug...