Saturday, August 4, 2018

Week 29 of 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks Prompt - Music

52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks
Week 29
Prompt Music

I remember in the early 1960's, the family got its first portable record player as family Christmas gift. I think we got some 45 rpm singles to play on it but can't remember any of the albums we played. I can still smell the oil and rubber belt as it heated up from overplaying it. I could put the record on but an older sibling had to drop the needle onto the record. I was told it was all too delicate for a young child to operate because I might scratch the record or break the needle which were very expensive to replace. The portable player was played often.
In the mid 1960's the portable player was replaced with a “hi-fi” which was actually a piece of furniture with the same drop needle album player and hidden speakers. The speakers were fabulous which was true for the time. Over the years we accumulated many many albums. Rock and roll, country, folk and Christmas music.
My mother loved music and all things musical. Apparently in the 1930's or 40's she and her friend played guitars and sang songs on the local Saskatoon Radio Show.
Vivian Sullivan / McLaughlin
In 2006 when her brother, Wally McLaughlin was still alive we visited him and his wife in Yuma where they wintered. Uncle Wally said that Vivian was very talented musically and much to his chagrin she could play by ear and on almost any instrument she put her hands on. On those times they found themselves on the farm she would play the violin and guitar with such ease. Uncle Wally took lessons for the trumpet and a “red player piano” and said he never really mastered either.




Vivian Playing Drums at Brother's Band Practice
Rob Teaching Nephew Glenn The Drums













It was no surprise then that mom encouraged my two older brothers to form a rock and roll band. Robert played electric bass guitar and Dennis played electrical lead. Their friends played the organ, drums and additional guitar and all sang. Rob and Dennis had voice training as they sang with the local Saskatoon Boy's Choir. They called themselves "The Verdicts 5". They practiced a few times a week. Every Wednesday it was in our home. Imagine a 900 square foot slab home with no basement. The whole band set up in the living room right after supper and practiced until 9 or 10. Full on loud rock and roll music live in our family home. Dad sat on the kitchen stool in the kitchen drinking coffee and smoking and never said “boo”. Mom was just in the middle of it all really enjoying it. When summer rolled around in Saskatoon they practiced in our garage at the back of our house. The door open and kids and adults from everywhere stopping to listen (or complain about the noise). The Verdicts 5 was a popular band and played school dances in and around Saskatoon almost every weekend.
My Brother Rob in The Tiger Slacks and Brother Dennis Beside Him in Red Velvet Shirt






My Sister Bonnie
Bonnie & Trombone












 My younger sister, Bonnie played the organ and trombone growing up. And for the past umpteen years her sons formed a band and played similarly in their home (the basement).
I wished that I could have played an instrument or even have a talent to sing. I love music. Its my place of serenity. Alas I can't hold a tune in a bucket and this is verified by daughters who often said to me when I was rocking a tune in the car “no sing mommy!”

Wendy

No comments:

Post a Comment

2024 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks Week 19  Prompt - Taking Care of Business It was exhausting. It was emotional. Last week Bill, myself, my daug...