Thursday, March 19, 2020

52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks Week 11 Prompt - Luck

52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks
Week 11
Prompt – Luck

In the past week our lives have been turned upside down by COVID-19. Originally called Coronavirus or Novel Coronavirus. The WHO organization chose to rename it so that it is not associated with one type of animal or area of the world.  For example the 1918 Spanish Flu, Bird Flu, or the Hong Kong flu. So they named it as follows: "CO" stands for "corona", "VI" for "virus" and "D" for "disease", while "19" was for the year, as the outbreak was first identified on December 31.”
I have never experienced the things that have occurred over the past week. Never has life felt so full of fluidity. I am numb to the term “Breaking News”. Change is the only certain thing. I know that I am not alone in this feeling.
Many years ago I picked up a book called Flu The Story of the Great Influenza Pandemic of 1918 and the Search for the Virus That Caused It. By Gina Kolatata. It was copyrighted in 1999. At that time not much was written about the Spanish Flu that killed nearly 50 million people world wide. Some say it might have had something to do with the war ending because so many recruits had been struck by the flu while in their training camps. The book was a well written history of the Spanish Flu. At the time of writing they had not identified the Virus, however it has since been identified as H1N1 virus.
I began looking through my family tree to see if anyone died during The Spanish Flu which was officially from January 1, 1918 until December, 1920.  I found several members that died during this time. However there is no certain way to determine if this pandemic flu was a cause of their death. 
David Peters, my great grandfather was born April of 1835 in Russia. He died in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan on April 14, 1919. He was 83 years old. However according to his death record he died of arteriosclerosis and Myocarditis.  These were the type of long term health issues plus an elderly age that make people susceptible to the flu. He may have gotten the flu too and it was not noted on his death record. 
My paternal great grandmother (my father's mother's mother) as above died March 3, 1918. I do not know the cause of her death however the timing makes me suspicious that it may have been the flu. She died at the age of 69.  
Helena's brother, my 2nd great-uncle also died within the time period of The Spanish Flu.
These are all supposition which I haven't proved yet. 
My grandmother Mary McLaughlin's had a younger brother that was either forgotten or never mentioned. I found out about him through the file folder that was sent to me by my Aunt Phyllis after her husband died and she decided to send Mary McLaughlin important papers to me to have.  
I had passed by this envelope several times before I looked inside. This is what I saw.


 I was surprised to see it was a cemetery location for a baby and written at the bottom was  "My Brother Williham".  This was a new name to me.  


 He was born on October 25, 1917 in Winnipeg, Manitoba. He died March 2, 1918 in Winnipeg. He died at home which was 613 Talbot Avenue, Winnipeg. He was 4 months and 7 days old. His medical record states that he died of “Lobar pneumonia” and contributing factor was “indigestion”. I find this an odd secondary cause but then that is what it says.
According to this record the doctor attended to him between February 15th 1918 to March 1, 1918 whereby he died at 5 A.M. March 2nd. Wilhelm Krikau had only had the pneumonia for 5 days.   I believe that Wilhelm died of The Spanish Flu which was deadly and rampant at this time throughout the world. It was a pandemic.
Wilhelm was buried March 22, 1918 at Brookside Cemetery in Section 74; Lot 167. 

So what does this blog have to do with luck. Well nothing and everything. I hope that luck is on our side as we traverse the universe of this 2019 pandemic.

Wendy

No comments:

Post a Comment

2024 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks Week 19  Prompt - Taking Care of Business It was exhausting. It was emotional. Last week Bill, myself, my daug...