Tuesday, August 14, 2018

Week 32 of 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks Prompt - Youngest

52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks
Week 32
Prompt Youngest

Recently, my granddaughter spent some of her summer holiday with us in Kelowna. She was away from home for the first time. We had so many lovely moments. I found myself wondering if she would remember this summer when she got older and the important matters of her life take over her adult life. She is will be 10 this October so I presume she might have some fragments of memories of the visit.
Memory is a fickle thing. For the first several years of life memories are not made or maybe it is not remembered. Maybe we are too busy figuring out all those things we need to survive in this world. As we age we find our memories become fuzzy, exaggerated, embellished, epic, and at times forgotten.
When I was a teenager and talking to my mom about this and that I told her about a memory I had of my younger life. It went something like this:
The setting is a small dark and cold house with a window over the small kitchen table. I am sitting on a potty behind a fabric curtain that acted as a door just off of the room I was playing in. I do not know who the women in the house was and Mom was nowhere around. As I come out of the room there is suddenly a women carrying an infant in her arms, all in white I think. This women sits at the table and is drinking coffee . They are looking at the baby now laying on the table in the sunlight of the window over the table and talking excitedly. There is a recollection of being carried to the baby to see its tiny fingers and toes.
Mom blanched. She looked at me and was gobsmacked to say the least. She told me the memory that I just explained was the day she brought my younger sister home from the hospital and she was picking me up at her friend's home who had been babysitting me while she was away. She says the detail of the room was correct.
My younger sister was born in January, almost 22 months after me. My youngest memory was at the tender age of 22 months old. Now it was my turn to be gobsmacked. How is this even possible? Sometimes we think we remember things because we have seen a photograph. However photographs in 1956 were rare in our family and there was no photograph of this event.
This is my youngest memory in my life. It seems unbelievable but according to mom, it really is true. As I said before memory is a fickle thing.

Wendy


No comments:

Post a Comment

2024 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks Week 19  Prompt - Taking Care of Business It was exhausting. It was emotional. Last week Bill, myself, my daug...