Wednesday, May 19, 2021

52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks Week 17 Prompt - Favourite Place

52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks

Week 17

Prompt - Favourite Place

Obituary for Elisabeth Peters.

Newspapers.com.  This is my favourite place to find genealogical gems.  Newspapers from long ago are informative and amusing at times.  A few months ago I found an obituary for my paternal grandmother, Elisabeth Peters.  I don't know why finding her obituary was surprising.  Maybe because my grandmother's funeral and burial was covered by welfare and I did not think an obituary would have been included.  My grandmother and her daughter lived on welfare, probably because Elisabeth was blind. 

Elisabeth Peters; Circa 1960's.
There is a story in my family that there was a “falling out” among my father and his siblings after the funeral of their father; Franz Peters in 1952.  Apparently my father, Jake Peters paid for the funeral, etc. I think he was expecting the siblings to help out financially.  They did not help apparently saying that he was working and could afford it.  Several months later several of the siblings and his mother moved away to Vancouver.  The rest of the siblings that lived in the city of Saskatoon rarely if ever visited again.

I know my mom and dad went to his mother's funeral in Vancouver.   I wonder if old feelings came up about his father's funeral.

The obituary was found on the website Newspapers.com by Ancestry.  It was published in The Vancouver Sun on January 19, 1972 on page 44.  I have tried to fix the fact it was blurry.  I think it was scanned that way.   I think it is readable.

It states her death was January 15th, 1972.  However her death registration says it was January 16th and that is the official date I go by.  

They listed my dad as “Jaque” instead of Jake.

I also found the place of her funeral which I did not have before.

Pacific Grace Mission

1587 Frances Street and Woodland

Vancouver

Performed by Rev. H. Claasen on January 21, 1972 at 2:00 P.M.

Elisabeth Peters Funeral.


Wendy


No comments:

Post a Comment

2024 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks Week 19  Prompt - Taking Care of Business It was exhausting. It was emotional. Last week Bill, myself, my daug...