Sunday, January 10, 2021

52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks Week 2 Prompt - Favourite Photo

52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks

Week 2

Prompt – Favourite Photo


My father, Jacob (Jake) Peters died on September 22, 1983.  He was 66 years old.  He died in his home (as was his wish) of Pancreatic Cancer with Liver metastasis.

My mother and father went on a Hawaiian trip in February of that year.  If my memory serves me, I believe that they came home early because dad was unwell.  None the less he went to the doctor and by March 17th had exploratory surgery.  The surgeons found cancer that had gone beyond the ability to treat it in any way surgically.  I remember that it was March 17th because when my mom called to tell me about the outcome of dad's surgery, she said; “the luck of the Irish has run out because dad has inoperable cancer.”  He died 6 months later.

The family came together and we buried dad on Monday, September 26, 1983 in Woodlawn Cemetery in Saskatoon.  All my brothers and sister and their spouses were present.  Our children were present. However some did not attend grandpa's funeral because of their age.  After a very long and sad day we gathered that evening at my brother and sister in law's home.  Somehow we managed to gather up our rather rambunctious children in an attempt to photograph them.


The first attempt was less than successful.  Did I mention that they were full of energy?




       Grandpa Jake Peters' 13 Grandchildren.  September 26, 1983.

Back Row: Gregory Peters is sitting on Glenn Olajos lap.  Scott Lutz, Murray Cuthbertson, Joelle Peters

Front Row: Jill Hoffart, Sandy Lutz, Cathy Olajos is holding Matthew Cuthbertson, Sarah Lutz, Sue Lutz is holding Jackie Hoffart and Benjamin Peters.

Jake Peters' obituary stated he had 13 grandchildren. These are his grandchildren as photographed on the day of his funeral.  Their ages ranged from 4 months to 19 years old.

These children are his legacy.

JAKE PETERS - 1982

 

God Bless.

Wendy

P.S. There was 3 more grandchildren born after he died; Trent Peters and Lynn and Michael Cuthbertson.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

2024 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks Week 19  Prompt - Taking Care of Business It was exhausting. It was emotional. Last week Bill, myself, my daug...