Saturday, September 12, 2020

52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks Week 36. Prompt - Labour

 

52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks

Week 36

Prompt – Labour


Apron is a garment worn to protect clothes or even the body from the work one is doing.

Did you know it was mentioned in the first book of the Bible.  It says in Genesis 3:7: “And the eyes of them both were opened, and they knew that they were naked; and they sewed fig leaves together, and made themselves  aprons.”  So perhaps the first clothing ever worn was an apron!

Into the middle ages aprons were worn by men that denoted specific trades.  Heavy leather for the forger or heavy dark fabric aprons for perhaps a meat cutter trade or cobbler.

In the 19th and 20th century the apron became the necessary garment of women.  They needed to protect their clothes of which they had few.   It was part of her outfit.   Apron on and the day begun.   In one of my Mennonite readings I discovered that in actuality the apron was a multi use garment.  For example; collecting the eggs from the hen house to take inside, gathering wild flowers from the garden, or to collect peas when they were shelled on the porch, to hide a shy child or wipe away the tears of a child, a handy pot holder, a quick duster, carry kindle to the stove, to hold a load of laundry to the clothes line or perhaps the clothespins, dry her hands and maybe mop the brow from the hot elements of the kitchen.

Until the 1960's the apron was worn with pride.  Early on in the twentieth century full length ones were worn.  Most likely ironed and starched. 

Circa 1920 - Emilie Jahnke; Bill's paternal Great Grandmother.


   Circa 1942. Bill's Great Aunt Dora Posing on Front Deck.

 

 

 

 

 

 

The 1930's and 40's the apron was made from remnants of fabric found around the house such as tea towels, kitchen curtains or flour sacks.  In the 1950's the apron was in it heyday and aprons were made as an expression of who they were.  Frills, rickrack, appliques, embroidery and special seasonal fabrics were common.  Practical aprons worn during the daytime while prepping food and a clean embellished one put on as soon as the man of the house came home from work!

  1952 October 6, Clara Hoffart's Wedding Day. The Apron is Somewhat Frillier

By the mid 1960's and the advent of women's liberation, the apron became the symbol of the repression of women, being tied to the relentless housework and overall domesticity not to mention the symbol of being tied to the stove at the beck and call of men.  The thankless labour of being a “stay at home mom”.

I grew up in between these two apron eras.   Thus I have wonderful memories of my grandmother wearing her apron and the delicious meals and desserts she made for us.  It must have been a labour of love. It is a warm fuzzy feeling. 


 

 

 

 

 My Grandmother Mary McLaughlin in 1980's.

 

 

 

 

My father was a "ham boner" at the meat packing plant.   He wore a white apron.  I only got to see him wear it when he returned home after being cut by his sharp knife.  Believe me when I say it told a story of blood, guts and gore.  My mother was not a stay at home mom when I was a child.  She went to work full time in 1962 or 1963.  I did not witness my mother being tied to the stove so to speak.  In fact she worked as a cook and wore her white uniform with a brilliant white apron with pride and a symbol of self reliance.

My first home economics sewing project of the late 1960's was to sew a simple apron.  I remember that it was made of yellow gingham material and rick rack edging.  My sewing skill was non existent.  It was our apron to wear in home economics for our food prep classes.  At that time most of the women in my life wore their aprons around the house when cooking. 

Shortly after I was married in 1975, my mother in law, Clara Hoffart, made me a fancy apron with pinafore.  I still have it to this day but can't remember the last time I wore it.  I have a photo of me icing Jill's 1st birthday cake which was protecting my "got home from work clothes and the people were coming to the party soon and no time to change clothes".  


 

 1979 - Icing Jill's 1st Birthday Cake.Got to love the Perms of the 1970's!

 

 

 

 I am well aware of the 1950's symbology of women being tied to their stove in repression, but for me wearing an apron is somewhat nostalgic.  

The following are some of the pictures I found in my album of the women and some men in my life wearing their aprons. Enjoy. 


 

My Blind Paternal Grandmother Elisabeth Peters in her Gingham Apron. 


Unknown date. To the best of my knowledge; Lt to Rt. Ruby (Mary's Daughter) Shirley (Katie), Mary who are Elisabeth Peters' daughters. 







Circa 1930's. My maternal great grandparents. Maria and Andreas Krikau. 


 

 

Circa 1965 - Bill's maternal grandmother, Ida Bachmann. Even at a picnic the apron is necessary. 

 

 

 

 1996 - Jill Matish alone in the kitchen cleaning Christmas dinner dishes.

1997 - Jackie Hoffart in Dairy Queen Work Clothes.
 2000 November. My granddaughter, Alanna Hoffart, rocking her Easy Bake outfit. 





My brother, Rob Peters and daughter, Alyss. It's barbecue time!





Circa 1992. Bill is ready to carve the Christmas turkey. He is wearing a borrowed Christmas apron. 







Wendy

No comments:

Post a Comment

2024 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks Week 19  Prompt - Taking Care of Business It was exhausting. It was emotional. Last week Bill, myself, my daug...