Monday, December 23, 2019

52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks Week 51 Prompt - Future

52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks
Week 51
Prompt – Future

Do genealogist look to the future? Rarely. We are too busy looking back into our history.
There is no doubt that how we do genealogy is always changing. In 2005 when I first started on this genealogical journey, I went to the library to look up things because they had the special computer programs linked to the major genealogical databases of the time. This was the start of scanning historical documents into large databases which could be accessed at the library free of charge. Fifteen years later and I rarely go to the library. I find many significant genealogical documents online. I can download and save them on my laptop for future use. The use of paper has significantly decreased in this respect. I just have to remember to back up my work on my computer from time to time. I cannot imagine what changes the future will have and what that will look like for future genealogists. Will they seek, find and gather family information without computers?
Of course that implies an assumption that our children and grandchildren want to know about their ancestors. I believe that a lot of the younger generation don't want to know about their past (just yet) because they are too busy blazing a new trail for themselves. I know this because I was the same. That is not a bad thing and in fact it is probably good. However in my opinion it is important to understand where we come from. Further it is important to know the history of that time to add context to their lives. My maternal German grandmother called all Russians – Bolsheviks. Not an endearing term at all. However she lost many relatives in her Russian Volga homeland during the revolution, wars and famines due to the politics of Russia Revolutionaries of the time.
One of the things that frustrates me in researching my family is that I do not know or speak German. So many documents are available world wide written in their native language. It is just a matter of finding a translator. As I have pointed out before it's not just that it is in German, but it is also handwritten in “script handwriting” which fewer and fewer people can read. This got me thinking about our documents for future generations. I understand that they do not teach cursive writing in school anymore. Does that means that in one or two short generations our documents will be illegible to them.
In many of my genealogical classes, the topic of planning for the future of your family tree was discussed often. I can't force my family to take on this work although to me it is not really work but just an avid passion to learn and know more about my family. I would have no problem leaving it to anyone who wanted it.
It has occurred to me over the past two years of writing my blog that I seem to know more about my family than I thought I knew. It always make me take pause when a family member who reads my blogs says to me “I didn't know that about...” From time to time my blogs jog the memories of my siblings who share more information with me. It is all so beautiful. In the end I write the blogs to share this information with those interested. Unlike a family tree written on paper which can be passed along, the information I gather on my computer tends to stay there without ever seeing the light of day. This is my way of sharing it. To me genealogy is about sharing information. You would be surprised at how many genealogists do not want to share their finds with others including their own families. What is the point if you can't share it?
I predict that the future of genealogy will be DNA. If this is true then I must make a concerted effort to learn more about it. I look at my DNA results on Ancestry from time to time but have failed to do anything with it. I guess this means that I will need to take more tutorials and read more on DNA and Genealogy. Therefore looking to my future in genealogy I will make a resolution to work on it and hope that it will make more sense to me and shed some light on family.
I also resolve to carry on with my blogging in 2020. Are you ready for year 3 of 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks? If you are, I will try not to disappoint. 


Wendy


No comments:

Post a Comment

2024 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks Week 19  Prompt - Taking Care of Business It was exhausting. It was emotional. Last week Bill, myself, my daug...