Sunday, December 8, 2019

52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks Week 49 Prompt - Craft

52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks
Week 49
Prompt – Craft

I decorated our Christmas tree last week. I have what I like to call an eclectic mix of ornaments. Most of the ornaments tell a story or holds a fond memory.
The first Christmas tree in our married life was sparsely decorated. We had some hand me down ornaments. We strung popcorn on a string for a garland. May I say that it was a huge pain and I never made another one. I made fake candy canes. I used the bendy straws that I took from the hospital and used some red tape to spiral around the straw to fashion red and white candy canes. We put those on the trees for years. 
These are some of the more memorable crafty Xmas ornaments that I place on our tree. 
 This 1983 embroidered Santa stocking was made and given to us by Bill''s Aunt Donna (Uncle Hank's wife). This is Bill's father youngest brother. We were close to Aunt Donna and Uncle Hank. They put us up on many of our summer vacations through B.C.  Uncle Hank was in Regina over Christmas 1978 and came over to visit and see our new baby - Jill. As a matter of fact he saw Jill before Tony and Clara had a chance to visit their first grandchild.  Uncle Hank never let his brother, Tony, forget that he saw his granddaughter before him. This embroidered sock reminds me of them.


1979 - Aunt Donna and Uncle Hank With Jill - Yes That is a Dog in our House.
My mom was an avid knitter.  
Circa 1983 -  Mom Knitting and Jackie Less Than Impressed



Knitted Cabbage Patch Doll Clothes for Jill at Christmas from Grandma Peters






















 Bill's mother was an expert seamstress. Sadly she is now almost completely blind due to macular degeneration. Over the years she sewed many of my daughter's outfits, Christmas outfits, and Halloween costumes. She could also knit and crochet. 
1985 - Jill & Jackie Wearing Matching Outfits as Their Cabbage Patch Dolls. Made by Grandma Hoffart

 Clara broke her arm one year just before Christmas. She was unable to sew the usual Christmas dresses however this did not slow down her craft endeavors. She made the beaded bell and beaded poinsettia Christmas ornaments for us despite her arm in a cast. This always reminds me of Clara (who is still living) and her endless talents and energy.

1984 - Jill and Jackie With Their New Christmas Stockings Crafted By Grandma Hoffart
Bill's younger sister, Norma inherited her mother's talents. These are just some of the crocheted ornaments she has made for us.



 Mostly Norma likes quilting. This is a small quilted Christmas ornament she made just a few years back.
Norma's talents extends to baking and cooking as well.  She definitely inherited her mother's genes.
Jill and Jackie Assisting Auntie Norma in Making a Gingerbread House

I made this painted ceramic Santa at a fall ceramic course that I took with my neighbor from our first home. It reminds me of my frequent morning coffees with my neighbor ladies and our ten plus pre- school children on Broad Street in Regina. It was a wonderful time in my life.
It was a craft that I did not enjoy. It seemed that all I had to do was pick up the green ceramic to attempt to paint it and it crumbled in my hands. It was a good class for me if I actually got the ceramic painted and ready to be fired. The finesse of handling something so fragile was not my forte.
I did however for a time enjoy cross stitch. 

Circa 1985 - First and Only Cross Stitch Ornament
Those were the days of good eyesight and steady hands. My sister Betty also made me cross stitch snowmen for my tree. Betty also crochets and knits. I believe she learned this from our grandmother, Mary McLaughlin. 




By far the most endearing Christmas ornaments are the children's. The ones made at school and brought home with such pride. Remember the construction red and green paper chains. Many of those made it on our trees. However they never lasted past Christmas.
Jackie's school made Xmas ornaments. 
What a joy to start receiving my granddaughter's first school made Xmas ornaments.
2003 - Alanna's First Christmas Tree Ornament Made in Kindergarten.
Alanna was and still is my little smiling angel.  
Kelsey made me coffee mugs from her own Christmas art. The first year mug had broke somewhere in transit and when I opened it up and she saw the broken handle she cried and cried. She was almost inconsolable. We glued it and it was as good as new and no more tears. 
 
 

Just like every picture tells a story so does every crafted Christmas ornament.  I am surrounded by a family of talented and crafty people.  Or maybe it was what us seniors did to pass the time away.  After all we didn't have I Phones to play on. 

Wendy

No comments:

Post a Comment

2024 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks Week 19  Prompt - Taking Care of Business It was exhausting. It was emotional. Last week Bill, myself, my daug...