Monday, November 4, 2019

52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks Week 44 - Trick or Treat

52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks
Week 44
Prompt – Trick or Treat

Halloween is not my favorite time of year. It never has been. I did not want to go out and trick or treat as a child, but alas I was made to do so. As a child I never had a costume except what was made up over the supper hour of the night I went out. I was given dad's old clothes to make a tramp costume. Not to say my dad had tramp like clothes! Shoe polish on the face to mimic a dirty face. Once or twice I was put into costumes that today is considered quite politically incorrect. Some years it was just a plastic face mask and a heavy winter coat because in Saskatchewan it was always winter on Halloween. I do not like being frightened. I do not like surprises. I do not like scary costumes. I do not like scary shows.  I always had friends and family to go with, but it was still pretty scary to be knocking on a stranger's door.
When my kids came along I was lucky enough to have a mother – in – law who loved to sew and worked at a fabric store in Saskatoon. She made their costumes which had to be displayed at work for the month or so before Halloween. She then sent them on to my girls just on time for Halloween. Most of the costumes have gone on to other family members or goodwill. 

Jill Hoffart - 1981, October 31
I have no idea what her costume was but I bet it was a super cold Halloween.

 The next two photos are of the 1982 Halloween.  Below is Jill with her dad after carving our first pumpkin.  I remember this year as it was the year that both Jill and Jackie came down with chickenpox at supper time of Halloween.  No trick or treating for them.  When the family found out they couldn't go out they sent them candy by the box full through the mail.  Lucky kids. Well I guess not so lucky to get Chickenpox.  This was the first costume that Bill's mother had made for the girl's.

 
Jill the Clown - 1982
 
 
1983 October 31 Jackie and Jill

Grandma made Jackie a cute little leopard costume and Jill got a bunny costume. 

1984 - Halloween Jill and Jackie

Jackie inherited the clown costume and Jill got a witch's costume. 

1986 Circa - Jill and Jackie -My Clowns!

1988 Halloween
Jackie wanted to be a chocolate chip cookie.  Grandma pulled through for her.  Jill re-used her witches costume to fashion a gypsy costume.

1989 Halloween
Jackie re-used Jill's old clown costume.  1989 was our first year in Edmonton and I believe Jill did not go out anymore.
1994 Halloween
Jackie and Jill along with Jill's German Exchange student - Jasmine.  They may not have gone out to trick or treat, but that doesn't stop the fun of carving pumpkins.
1996 First Halloween in New Calgary Home.  Kids Too Old to Trick or Treat!

1999 Alanna, My Grand Daughter in Her Mom's Old Clown Costume
2004 - Alanna and Michael Playing Dress Up in Old Costumes
2008 1 Week Old Kelsey. 

Halloween 2008 - Alanna



















2019 Halloween - My Grand Daughters - Kelsey and Alanna

2019 - Alanna's Bunny Called Peaches in The Carved Pumpkin
2019 Ladybug Charlie.  
I may not like Halloween however I hope that it never affected the kids and their fun with this special day.

Wendy

No comments:

Post a Comment

2024 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks Week 19  Prompt - Taking Care of Business It was exhausting. It was emotional. Last week Bill, myself, my daug...