Friday, September 20, 2019

52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks Week 36 Prompt - School Days

52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks
Week 36
Prompt – School Days

1960 / 1961 Class Picture of Wendy Peters - Grade 1.

My Grade 1 Class Photo. Look at us wearing our Sunday best.  The boys bow ties and indeed the ties were so formal. The girls wore their best dresses and their hair was curled, combed and full of barrettes and bows. We were to clasp our hands together and put them in front of us.  It was obviously  taken at Christmas.This was taken at my first school of Grade 1 which was  Howard Coad School in the Mount Royal neighborhood of Saskatoon. It was about 3 or 4 blocks and one large school field from our new family home.

Recent Photo of Front Entrance of Howard Coad Public School.
 I remember that between my home and this school was a wonderful hill of dirt probably put their from the recent construction in our new neighborhood.  I could never resist stopping and playing on that hill. There was more than one time that mom had to send one of my brothers to the hill to hurry me home to have my lunch. Or worse stopping at the hill for just one more slide down the snowy hill on the way back from lunch. I remember the day my friend and I missed hearing the school bell We did notice that the school grounds were empty. From the outside we quietly went to the classroom where I hoisted up my friend to look into the classroom windows to see if the class had started. It had and we were late.  Our teacher never said anything.
In March of Grade 1 (1961) we moved into our newly constructed school, Estey, which happened to be the across the street from my house. I was seldom if ever late getting to this school. 
Estey Public School

It is amazing to me that I remember some of my classmates in this photograph which was taken almost 60 years ago.
Starting in the back row – left to right.
I want to say his name is Victor but I could be wrong. Next is Margo. Margo was a very tall girl. She was my friend more in grade 6 through high school. She went to the same nursing school as I did, but we were in different streams and we lost track of each other after that. I can't remember the next fellow's name.
Next to him was Ken Hogarth, We were in the same class through our public school years. I remember a time in Grade 6 when we were in silent reading. He sat behind me. He gave an exasperated sigh out loud and said “ finally chapter 6”. Our teacher who was a strict straight laced spinster type school teacher who rarely smiled, chuckled and said something to the effect that we were all happy for him but it was silent reading. Poor Ken was so embarrassed. The whole class laughed at him.
Next to Ken is Kay Campbell. Kay is my life long friend. We lived on the same block and were good friends from the get go. We did everything together. We went to Brownies and Guides together.  We hung out at each other's houses. We  helped each other with homework. Kay was there to guide me through the thick of family life. We were bridesmaid at each other's wedding. She went to nursing school in Calgary while I stayed in Saskatoon to taking nursing. Kay and I still see each other once or twice a year. It is amazing to me that we can pick up from where we left off from the previous visit. Almost 60 years of friendship is truly something special that I cherish every day of my life.
Carrying on in the back row on the other side of the tree is Susan. She was a special needs child who struggled with school. Next to Susan is Leonard Weins. He was my first male friend whom many thought of us as girlfriend – boyfriend. However in grade 4 through grade 6 or 7 - we were just friends. We spent summer days riding his bicycle around the neighborhood and me sitting on his handlebar. He took me along as a special guest to Kids Bids. In the 1960s, Old Dutch figured out a great way to market themselves – Kids’ Bids – a program set up on TV stations across Canada where children traded in Old Dutch wrappers (bags or boxes) and could use the points they earned for collecting the wrappers to bid on items. He won many many great prizes (the bike being one of them) He had so many bags and box tops probably because his father was a garbage collector and helped him gather up the bags. On this time he bid and won a little red transistor radio and gave it to me. I believe Bill and I still have it but I haven't laid eyes on it for years. We were JUST FRIENDS!
The two boys next to Len are unknown to me at this time. The last person in the back row is Marg Janzen. We occasionally played together throughout school. She lived down the alley and across the street. They use to keep pigeons in their back yard. I remember the summer I looked after them while they were away on vacation. I am not a fan of birds of any kind. I was glad to see them return after a few weeks.
The middle row – left to right.
I believe the boy was named Kevin. He seemed to be the one chosen to be class speaker. He had a presence and by the look of this photo he was a bit of a flirt. Next to Kevin is Wendy Robb. In the early years of school she was considered another close friend of mine. Her father coached a softball team in which I participated. Wendy was the pitcher of the local team and I played third or short stop in the beginning of ball season. We got together often and played Barbies at her house. In grade 5 her family moved to Montgomery neighborhood which meant we were no longer within walking distance. Over the next few years we drifted apart as one would expect when you are separated. We did go to the same high school however Wendy was definitely in a different crowd of teenagers and I did not feel comfortable associating with them.
Next to Wendy was Rhonda Cox. Then guess who – me! Next to me is Gordon. Gordon was the boy who ate crayons in class. I don't know why, but hey it is something I have never forgotten. I hope and pray that it was not due to being hungry!  To the right of the tree in the middle row we continue with a girl name Toni. She had a beautiful soprano voice and she often performed solos in our choir for our school concerts in later years. Next to singing Toni was Gwen Epp. She was a very artistic child. If  I remember correctly her father was an artist in Saskatoon. In Grade 7 or 8 her father brought his potter's wheel to school for all of us to try out. I loved it and it was harder than it looked. I don't think I ever made a vase. Gwen also was also a ballerina. She was always concerned about her weight because of it.
Next is Maureen. Maureen's father bought the first color television in our neighborhood. Maybe in 1965 or 1966. She would invite me over after school on Friday to watch The Monkees. It was the first time I remember feeling deep envy.
The last 3 boys in the middle row are familiar but I can't  come up with even a first name.
The front row left to right.
The first 3 boys are once again familiar but their names escape me.  Next to these 3 unknowns is Brenda Sassville. She lived several blocks away. What we had in common in Grade 7 or 8 was that we loved Man From U.N.C.L.E. We often watched it together at her place. Again she had a color TV.
Next to Brenda is Cindy. Oh Cindy! She was that know it all teacher's pet!  She was always so put together. She was an ace seamstress in Grade 7 and up.  Her mother was also a seamstress and probably why she could do sewing projects in our Home Economics way beyond what was expected of us. Sewing was never ever my forte. Cindy's mother also came to our grade 7 class at school to show the girls how to take care of our skin and the proper make up application. Oi! It was the 1960's after all!
Next to Cindy is Josephine. She had two older sisters named Jill and Jacqueline. I always loved those names. I named my girls Jill and Jacqueline probably because of them. I recall in grade 3 that Josephine was sick and away from school for over a month. She and her sisters had contracted whooping cough and had to stay home. It was the first time that I heard that unforgettable cough. It is truly frightening.
Next to Josephine is Sharon Torgeson. She lived two houses away. She was my grade 1 girlfriend and partner in crime in the great hill saga. She was the girl whom I hoisted up to the classroom window. Sharon is also the friend who spilled the beans on Santa Claus. The last day before Christmas vacation while walking home from school she told me the truth. It was extremely surprising and provided for me a Christmas time less than happy. I told no one that I knew! Why would I?
The last 2 girls and 2 boys in the front row, I have no recollection of.
To the best of my knowledge our teacher was Miss (or Mrs.) Tubb. 
Sixty years ago I started school in Saskatoon.  I have this and several other class photos.   I have always said that photos are one of the best props to help jog one's memory for genealogy discoveries. 
This surely did bring back some school memories. I hope that I got them right.  Kay you can correct or add to any of these people if you wish via email.  
This was the start of my school days.  I loved school.

Wendy




No comments:

Post a Comment

2024 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks Week 19  Prompt - Taking Care of Business It was exhausting. It was emotional. Last week Bill, myself, my daug...