Monday, May 20, 2019

52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks Week 18 Prompt - Road Trip

52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks
Week 18
Prompt – Road Trip 



My husband and I enjoy our holiday road trips. There is nothing like hitting the wide open road. We put on our favorite music or a audio book and watch the miles go by. For us it is all about the journey and not so much the destination.
I remember several road trips as a child with my parents. Often we were headed out to Vancouver to visit my paternal grandmother, Elisabeth Peters. My mom hated the drive through the high mountain passes so we went the southern route on what is now the #3 Highway. There was mountains but not as high. The particular trip I recall was about 1961 or 1962 when I was 6 or 7 years old. Dad could only get holidays in September because his seniority (or lack of seniority) at The Olympic Meat Processing Plant never allowed summer holidays. We got to start school late which was no big deal for me when I was younger, but later on it was kind of cool. Our family car was a small 4 door Chevy of some type. It was a tight fit for mom and dad and 6 of their 7 children. My oldest sister was in nursing school and never went along. These were the days of no seat belts. My 3 brothers and older sister crammed the back seat. My younger sister sometimes drove in between mom and dad in the front seat, but I recalled her sleep time being spent lying across the shelf of the rear window. And poor me – I got the back seat floor. The one with a hump in the middle of the floor and all my brother's stinky feet. Til this day I do not know how mom and dad survived us on that trip. We complained, screamed, fought, whined and begged to be let out for a bathroom break or a break for just walking around. Oh dad you were a saint to put up with the kicking feet in the back of your seat while driving all the way to Vancouver. 

As a special treat, once we did get to stop for a roadside diner lunch and it was the first time that I had a“hot hamburger sandwich” plus a coke to drink. It was heaven. I do not know how mom and dad could afford it but maybe we all shared meals.

We could not afford hotels so we slept in campgrounds along the way. The tent was only 10 by 10 feet. We arrived late at night and dad and my brothers put up the tent using the car headlights to see. It didn't matter because it was always put up on the most uncomfortable tree trunks and rocks of the campground. That one particular night was super late and too late for a campfire so we got to eat sugar cubes and crackers for supper.
To say the least 8 of us in that one tent was uncomfortable. One of us slept across the top and the other slept crosswise at the zipper end of the tent. That person grumbled the most because they were always being stepped on as one or another of us had to leave to use the bathroom.
In the morning we had a campfire which had coffee on the go for dad. I don't remember what we ate for breakfast – probably cereal. I distinctly remember going to the a nearby stream / river to scoop up our water for consuming. No seat belts and drinking stream water; how did we ever survive?
We packed up very quickly after breakfast when the boys came running to tell mom and dad that they spotted a bear across the stream just hanging out. I knew very little about bears but it lit a fire under everyone else.
How did they fit a tent, camping cooking equipment, blankets, sleeping bags, suitcases or bag for the clothes into the trunk? There was sure no room in the car for any of it.
The cramped tent and car was the memorable part of the trip for me. It was so different from how we lived in the city.
Finding Grandmother Peters Home!

There was always tension for mom and dad once we got to Vancouver. We never knew where grandmother lived. She lived on Social Welfare and moved from place to place quite frequently. Dad had one family member who was more stable and as soon as we got to the city dad found a pay phone and called him for the address and directions. There was no GPS, cell phones or city maps. We depended on the directions given to us. It was never as easy to find them as they said it would be. We drove for what seemed like hours. Dad on several occasions went the wrong way down a one way street. This was something that Saskatoon did not have. However we always found grandmother Peters and her daughters Mary and Kate and several cousins of varying ages. I don't remember where we all slept but I am sure that it was just as cramped as the tent.
It was all so worth it because dad was a completely different man with his sisters and mother. He spoke German which blew me away. You must know that dad was a man of few words in English and we never heard him speak German except around his family. He smiled and joked. It was so beautiful to see him truly happy while with his family.
Going home was less memorable but seeing how it was September, mom always bought crates of apples to take home. Those ended up in the car on someone's lap or at the feet where I stayed. They were very special apples because they tasted so much sweeter than the store ones we got in Saskatoon. I got to take my teacher one on my first day back at school. She was so thrilled about it. I also gave her a present of a leaf of a Maple Leaf tree that I found in Vancouver Stanley Park. It was the size of my head. That hung around the classroom for sometime. 



 
I look back fondly at our road trips. Road trips are the thing that gives the family the best stories about themselves. Some of it was true, some of it became family legend and some stories turned into family folk lore that became impossible to believe. 

Wendy

No comments:

Post a Comment

2024 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks Week 19  Prompt - Taking Care of Business It was exhausting. It was emotional. Last week Bill, myself, my daug...