Sunday, December 30, 2018

52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks Week 52 Prompt - Resolutions

52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks
Week 52
Prompt – Resolution

Making resolutions is not my thing. I know how hard it is to start them and how it is even harder to keep them. I started this blog 3 weeks after the challenge begun. It was not part of my New Year's resolution. The idea of crafting blogs around genealogy was intriguing. Blogging sounded easier than trying to write a genealogical family book based on my findings. For one thing I am never done finding new information on my ancestors and that makes it easy to put off writing anything. It was not until I started my blogs that I realized how much information I know and have accumulated on the family. My siblings were often surprised by the family knowledge I possessed. As I wrote in my usual folksy way the stories made themselves. The prompts allowed me to narrow topics to manageable stories. (Well some were longer than others). I feel that an ancestor's story is better when surrounded by the history of the place and time and in so doing, I hope I brought it to life so to speak.
Along the way I discovered new things about the ancestors that I had overlooked the first time through their information. I also learned what information I still needed to find.
I know I did not blog on 52 ancestors but as the founder of this challenge (Amy Johnson Crow) states, it is about getting something down in writing to share with our family. It really isn't right that I have this information and not share it. Sharing is difficult when it is locked away on my laptop or in a file cabinet.
I had so much fun participating in the challenge that I was thrilled to hear that she is going to continue to give weekly prompts for 2019. It is my expectation to continue in the same manner as I have for this year. It has never seemed like work to me. It has been so much fun and I looked forward to doing them. I enjoy the feedback that I sometimes get. I love that it jogs memories in my siblings when I write of our family history.In fact my younger sister has decided to write family stories. Isn't that wonderful?  Way to go Bonnie.
Jackie is giving me a wonderful Christmas gift of putting all these blogs into a book. She is editing it now and apparently it will be ready sometime in spring. I think I heard that it will also be available on Amazon. As I told Jill who said she hasn't read my blogs yet – not to worry the book is coming this spring and who knows when the movie will be out. Just kidding!
Happy New Year! 
May all your resolutions be as easy and fun as my past year of digging around the old family tree was for me. 


Wendy

1 comment:

2024 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks Week 19  Prompt - Taking Care of Business It was exhausting. It was emotional. Last week Bill, myself, my daug...