Thursday, September 27, 2018

Week 38 of 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks Prompt - Unusual Source

52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks
Week 38
Prompt – Unusual Source



I have found interesting information from cemetery documentation. This is especially the case of those infants who were stillborn or died in infancy.
I discovered that my grandmother, Mary McLaughlin had a child who died in infancy, I wanted to find out where he was buried. As it turns out he was buried at the same place as Mary which was Woodlawn Cemetery in Saskatoon. I stopped by the cemetery office to find out where he was buried. I knew when he died and that his last name was Sullivan. The office found his site and more. They photocopied his City of Saskatoon Interment Order and The Funeral Director's Burial report. 

Burial Report For George Windsworth Sullivan in Woodlawn Cemetery

The burial report gave me his full name – George Windsworth Sullivan. I learned that he died January 8 1924 of “sposinophillia – 2months, Influenza and Convulsions for 10 days.” I have not found out what sposinophillia is but if I was to guess it would be something to do with spasms which could mean convulsions perhaps like seizures. George died at 3 months, 11 days of age. His father was listed as Patrick W. Sullivan living at Colonial Apartments. George was buried the day after he died.  His grave number was 4470 and he had a marked grave with a flat stone marker with 4470 on it.


Interment Report For George Windsworth Sullivan





The Interment Order gave me pretty much the same information. It says he died of “influenza – convulsions.” His father was listed as P. Sullivan living at Colonial Apartments and his occupation was cook. It cost $11.00 to bury him. 
George Windsworth Sullivan Flat Stone Marker For Grave Site.


In the case of mom and dad's two children stillborn, I was also given a copy of their Interment Order. Benjamin Peters was a stillborn born May 20, 1939 at St. Paul's Hospital in Saskatoon. Jake Peters is listed as the father and his occupation was laborer. Their address was listed as 512 Ave K. S. In Saskatoon. That address is Mary McLaughlin's (mother in law of Jake Peters) and I wondered if at the time they were living with her. The cost for this interment was $3.00. Benjamin was buried in and Children's area without any marker in place.
Interment Order for Benjamin Peters


On September 20, 1960, Vivian and Jake Peters had another stillborn child. Once again I was able to receive copies of The Interment Order and Burial Report for this babe. 

He was listed as an Unnamed Peters. I do know that in mom's bible he is named Mark. This babe was born at St. Paul's Hospital and the Doctor was Dr. Brand. He died of “asphyxia (anoxia)”. His age is listed as S.B. Which stands for stillborn. Jake Peters was listed as father living at 442 Witney Avenue in Saskatoon and employed by Intercontinental Packer's Ltd. The babe was buried September 23, 1960 and dad was charged $3.00. Mark was buried in the Infant's area notably for stillborn children.  It was a mass grave site. 
Mass Grave Site in Woodlawn Where Mark Peters Would Be Buried

I learn that there was a service in the chapel at 4 pm by Pastor Guebert on September 22, 1960.  And the casket went to the cemetery (by ourselves – meaning funeral home) for burial on September 23, 1960. 
I remember this service. I was 6 years old. My grandmother, Mary McLaughlin, would not allow me to look into the casket.  As the family walked past she covered my eyes with her hand and pushing me onward with her other.  I was confused and for many years to come I assumed it was a monster who was in that casket.   

Interment Order for Unnamed Peters (Mark)





























I'm not sure this is the most unusual source for information, but sadly I learned more by having these documents than just being told my mother had two stillborns and Grandma Mary McLaughlin had an infant that died.  
 Wendy

No comments:

Post a Comment

2024 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks Week 19  Prompt - Taking Care of Business It was exhausting. It was emotional. Last week Bill, myself, my daug...