Sunday, March 4, 2018

Week 9 of 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks Prompt - Where There's a Will...

52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks

Week 9 Prompt – Where There's a Will...


My father (1917 -1983) enlisted and served in WWII. Jake Peters' official rank and number is listed as: L74422, Private. He enlisted January 28, 1942.
Approximately ten years ago while I was going through some of mom and dad's memorabilia that my sister held, I came upon an intriguing envelope. The Canadian postage was only 3 cents. The canceled stamp says it was mailed June 24, 1946.
The covering letter is from Department of National Defense – Army.   It was sent registered mail. The army returned his will that was made the day he enlisted. However this will was missing from his memorabilia. I suspect that when he and mom updated their wills they disposed of it.
I have difficulties articulating the reason this find moved me.
How sobering it must have been for my father to go through the complicated army enlistment process and then have to contemplate the making of a will. He was 24 years old and I know I was not thinking of a will at that age, but then I wasn't enlisting into the active duty of the Canadian army. The “just in case” scenario must have become very real for dad at that moment. Did he light up another cigarette to calm his nerves and ponder what the hell he was getting into?
I wondered what was involved in making a will in the army. Was the process just another station in a maze of stations of filling out never ending paperwork?  You know for example, a station for filling in personal information, a station for filling in employment records, another for physical examination and finally getting to a station named “Wills”. Hmmm? Was it overwhelming for him because he could not read or write?
Knowing the army it was probably a “fill in the blanks” type of will. In the Government of Canada website and in particular National Defense and the Canadian Armed Forces there is a whole section devoted to making wills and its administration for the army. The website states that the Canadian Armed Forces is “strongly encouraged to make a will if they do not have one already”. It gives guidelines when to make and revise wills. It has forms to be filled out when the recruit does not make a will. It has forms for everything. It is the army way.
I'm glad the will was sent back to dad because obviously he did not die in active duty. Well he didn't die physically but emotionally he died a little each day thereafter. Dad went on to father three more boys and two girls to complete his family.
Where there was a will there was a live veteran. Thank you dad for your service and self sacrifice. 
 
Wendy









No comments:

Post a Comment

2024 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks Week 19  Prompt - Taking Care of Business It was exhausting. It was emotional. Last week Bill, myself, my daug...