Tuesday, February 13, 2018

Week 6 of 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks Prompt - Favorite name




52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks Week 6

Prompt – Favorite Name

More than a few times I have got lost in the maze of same names in the family tree. You can't blame me because my “consistency checker” on my program is always pointing out my duplicate names in the same family. If you are from a German / Mennonite background, I think you can relate to this.
Over the years of adding names of families and their children and their children's children, I began to notice a pattern in my genealogy regarding names and naming practice. These patterns got me thinking that there has to be more to this than the random occurrence of the same name generation after generation. I mean I was aware that naming the oldest son after a father was quite common in my German family. But also I would notice that the children in one family would have the same middle initial. It took me a while but I realized that this was the first letter of their mother's maiden name. I thought that it was brilliant. If you were patient enough you could weave through and connect the dots.
 Example A is of my father's uncle, David M. Peters and his wife Susanna J. Goetzen. I pulled this off GRANDMA online which is a Mennonite data base and it stands for Genealogical Registry and Database of Mennonite Ancestry. I highly recommend it to all doing Mennonite Genealogy. They also have a unique number naming identification which I won't go in here, but it is a godsend to identification of right individual.
 
The second pattern I noticed, and more disturbing to me, was the re-use of baby names until it “stuck”. What I mean is that if a child was named and died in infancy, then that name would go on to the next same sex baby born. I read somewhere that families over a century ago expected one third of their babies to die in infancy. 
Example B is my second great grandmother Susana (Susanna) Klassen married to Klaas Peters. This poor soul bore 16 children and 11 died at birth or in infancy.

Judith Peters was reused once and neither of them survived infancy. Susanna was used three times. The first two died in infancy. Aaron was reused once. Jacob was used three times and none survived. I am not sure why the following males were not name Jacob. Her last four male babies were given different given names of which only one survived to adulthood.
 
The third pattern I noticed was the naming of children after grandparents, aunts and uncles. It was explained like this on a Internet site of German naming traditions as follows:
1st son after the father's father
2nd son after the mother's father
3rd son after the father
4th son after the father's father's father
5th son after the mother's father's father
6th son after the father's mother's father
7th son after the mother's mother's father

1st daughter after the mother's mother
2nd daughter after the father's mother
3rd daughter after the mother
4th daughter after the father's father's mother
5th daughter after the mother's father's mother
6th daughter after the father's mother's mother
7th daughter after the mother's mother's mother

I tried to find a good example of this in my family tree. The Klaas and Susana example shows some of these tradition but did not strictly follow the pattern. However I am sure that there are more exceptions to this convention. Of course after they immigrated to Canada there was a loss of tradition as they wanted to assimilate to their new country.
Moral of this story is to be careful with putting the right person in with the right family in the right generation. 


None the less my favorite names in my ancestors is Rochus – my husband's paternal grandfather. Wilhelmina – my husband's maternal great grandmother. And finally Johann said like Yo-han. I have so many Johann's on both sides of my family.

Wendy

Example A

Example B





No comments:

Post a Comment

2024 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks Week 19  Prompt - Taking Care of Business It was exhausting. It was emotional. Last week Bill, myself, my daug...